Sunday, October 5, 2008

Oh how I wish I could be in DC during the cherry blossom season! I hear it's wonderful, and whenever I see pictures they usually have the Jefferson Memorial in the background. Although my visit didn't include any array of flowers, it was a beautiful day and a beautiful memorial nonetheless.


One of my favorite quotes from the panels inside is the following one from of course Thomas Jefferson. With the election around the corner, I have been thinking a lot about the evolution of this country from the founding to now. The nation has gone through so many changes and yet we still look to the Constitution as our highest form of law. We're not perfect but I still think it's impressive. Anyway, I thought this quote from one of the founding fathers was interesting and timely seeing how now more than ever the interpretation of the Constitution is under attack. Read it and take from it what you want.

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

No comments: